Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

FIG Restaurant (08-06-2011)

FIG Restaurant
Saturday, 08-06-2011
Santa Monica, CA


What attracted me to FIG Restaurant?  50% off the entire menu on all Saturdays from 5-6pm!  Seemed like a good bargain and an interesting menu.


FIG Baguette with Arugula Butter


THE HOT MOP - muddled jalapenos, Peligroso Reposado tequila, freshly-squeezed blood orange juice, agave nectar [$14.00]
CABERNET BLEND - Kluge Estate, Albemarle, Virginia 2009 [$16.00]


CHERRYSTONE CLAMS [$15.00]
chorizo, fava bean, wild mache


CHEESES
Cow - Comte, FR [$6.00]
Ewe - Spenwood, UK [$6.00]


BRUSSEL SPROUTS [$11.00]
bacon, vinegar


BRAISED TONGUE [$12.00]
tomatillo, breakfast radish


BACON-WRAPPED BACON [$16.00]
fuerte avocado, sylvetta, heirloom tomato


CARROT PAPPARDELLE [$27.00]
braised rabbit, Nante carrots, mint


Brouwerij West Blond [$5.00]
Belgian Pale Ale, Palos Verdes, CA


ROASTED PEACHES [$9.00]
citrus marscapone, baon-pecan brittle


VERDICT:  I first had a sampling of chef Ray Garcia's food at TOTN LA and once I found out about the Saturday 50% off happy hour, I was sold.  The pig-centric menu items really drew me in but it resulted in an extremely salty meal that killed my palate.  My favorite dish of the evening was the rabbit pappardelle.  The meat reminded me of a more delicate and subtle braised chicken and the pasta was freshly made and cooked to an al dente chewiness.

The prices posted were before the discount.  I would recommend this restaurant only during the happy hour time--otherwise the prices are too high to justify the food.   



No comments:

Post a Comment